Crossed Plus One Hundred Historical Timeline
Here is my year-by-year reconstruction of the fictional back-history that takes place leading up to Alan Moore’s (and later Simon Spurrier’s) Crossed Plus One Hundred. The list is in chronological order and includes American History X variant covers which contain the year in which they take place. (See other variant covers here.) Scroll down for day by day breakdown of the specific dates when Crossed Plus One Hundred issues take place.
2008 – The Surprise
- The first huge outbreak of the Crossed-zombie-virus was in 2008, the year that Avatar Press published the first Garth Ennis Crossed comic. The very first issue, Crossed No.0, was released August 27, 2008, per Wikipedia, though its cover date is July 2008. Significance of July 12, 2008 (exactly 100 years before CPOH1) appears to be so that CPOH6 can take place exactly 100 years (to the day) after the initial Crossed outbreak.
- According to Wikipedia, Crossed: Badlands No. 52-53 dates the initial Crossed outbreak as Summer 2008.
- Beau Salt’s journal dates the exact day of the outbreak as July 27, 2008. (CPOH5 P12,p5) It appears that this is the release day of the month from Crossed No.0 combined with the cover month (see above for dates.)
- In 2108, human survivors refer to the 2008 outbreak as “The Surprise” and the expression “oh-eight” has come to mean wrong or screwed-up.
- By the end of the Surprise, the human population has been reduced from 7 billion down to 2 million. The Crossed population shot up to more than a hundred million. (CPOH4 P1,p2)
July 27, 2008 – First of Beau Salt’s journals shown: first day of The Surprise (CPOH5 P12,p5)
October 17, 2008 – Second of Beau Salt’s journals shown: Salt kills suburban family, presumably in Dallas, TX. He plans to head for Appalachians in Spring 2009 (CPOH5 P16,p2)
May 15, 2009 – Third of Beau Salt’s journals shown: Salt is established in Appalachians. (CPOH5 P17,p3)
2014 – American History X variant cover for CPOH17 – site appears to be somewhere along the Grand Canyon.
2015 – Future Taylor’s father born. (CPOH2 P7,p3)
c. 2017 – Future Taylor’s maternal grandfather kills his parents after they become infected. (CPOH2 P1,p4.)
2017 – American History X variant cover for CPOH8.
2017 – American History X variant cover for CPOH13. Does anyone recognize this city and/or the metal-door hiding place?
2018 – American History X variant cover for CPOH16
2020 – Human population has been reduced to less than a million, half of the immediate-post-Surprise 2 million. Crossed population has declined also, down to about 14 million (CPOH4 P1,p3)
2023 – Future Taylor’s maternal grandfather joins her maternal grandmother’s running tribe. (CPOH2 P1,p4.)
2024 – American History X variant cover for CPOH9
2025 – American History X variant cover for CPOH5
- This cover scene appears similar to the one in the videotape that Future Taylor watches in CPOH3 P7-8 and CPOH4 P15 – though apparently videotaping of these sessions began in 2029.
2025 – American History X variant cover for CPOH15
c. 2025-2035 – Future Taylor’s maternal grandparents have 2 daughters; one of whom, Laura, will be Future Taylor’s mother. (CPOH2 P1,p5.)
March 4, 2029 – fourth of Beau Salt’s journals shown: Salt’s henchwoman Dopey dies. Salt’s henchman Doc begins videotaping conditioning sessions.
2038 – Future Taylor’s maternal grandmother and aunt killed in a surprise attack, her grandfather and her mother escape. (CPOH2 P1,p5)
2048 – American History X variant cover for CPOH11 – New York City flooded, looks like lower Manhattan, perhaps Times Square
2050 – Crossed population down to five million, many older. Human population rebounds to more than a million. (CPOH4 P2,p1)
2057 – American History X variant cover for CPOH7
2060 – American History X variant cover for CPOH1.
- Some sort of siege, location unclear.
- Crossed on far left wearing T-shirt that says “DRIFT? KI??” Might be Drift King, refers to racecar driver Keiichi Tsuchiya.
- Looks like there’s some logo on the human woman’s shirt (woman on left – with headband)?
- The Crossed near the human woman’s gun looks like his shirt says something, maybe “CAOTI”?? Maybe it’s “chaotic”?
- The Crossed just right of the pickaxe (middle left) is possibly wearing a Star Trek tunic? It has the A-shaped insignia.
c. 2060 – Birth of Jokemercy/Robbie Greer
2070 – Crossed population down to one million. Human population up to two million. In southern U.S., “Alleghania,” there are about 100,000 people and 50,000 Crossed. (CPOH4 P2,p2)
c. 2070? – First Crossed child, named Jokemercy, passes the “quick brown fox…” conditioning test. (CPOH5 P19-20)
2073 – Future Taylor’s father and Robbie Greer among group of people who found Chooga settlement in Chattanooga, TN. (CPOH2 P7,p4)
2075 – Future Taylor’s maternal grandfather and his daughter Laura (Future Taylor’s mother) arrive in Chooga settlement in Chattanooga, TN (CPOH2 P1,p5)
2076 – American History X variant cover for CPOH2.
- This pride of lions appears to be in a burned-out 2-story shopping mall.
- The title of CPOH2 is “Return Of The King” which, among other things, refers to species (including lions called the “king of beasts” or “king of the jungle) reclaiming post-apocalyptic cities.
- In this 2014 Bleeding Cool interview, Alan Moore stated: “And with the species that had escaped from botanical gardens and zoos, a lot of our western cities would be pretty tropical. […] Animal populations would have changed massively.”
- There are a bunch of store signs that are fairly legible here: (left to right, top to bottom)
– “[?]OOR [fash?]ions”
– “Gabriel COMIC STORE” – This is Gabriel Andrade’s signature.
– “MADRI[??]” might be a guitar shop?
– “W[r??? N?]ti Sun”
2077 – American History X variant cover for CPOH10.
2077 – Approximate birth date of Future Taylor, first sophisticated human camps
- Future Taylor was born in Chooga settlement in Chattanooga, TN (CPOH2, P7,p3)
- In CPOH Taste Test article about Future Taylor, Alan Moore stated: “Because [Future Taylor is] about 30 and was born in 2077 or something like that. Like most children of her age, and she would have been born when the first of the sophisticated camps were first being put up or just after when people were starting to have children again, and most of them were naming their children something like “Future”, or “Hope”.”
2090 – American History X variant cover for CPOH3.
- Anyone recognize those two roof-structures in the upper-middle?
2096 – American History X Variant Cover for CPOH4.
- The site is a New York City subway station in lower Manhattan.
- Writing on the sign says “EXIT, Broadway, Wall Street, [F???] Place” The obscured line is “Exchange Place” which means that the station is apparently the New York City subway Wall Street station for the 4 and 5 lines which operate beneath Broadway.
- Writing on or above the train says “PL… DEN GO…”? possibly [GAR]DEN something?
2108 – In southern U.S., “Alleghania,” there are about 200,000 people and thought to be only a few thousand Crossed. (CPOH4 P3,p3)
July 12, 2108 – first half of CPOH1 (Lewisburg, TN and Columbia, TN)
July 13, 2108 – second half of CPOH1 (Jackson, TN)
July 14, 2108 – first half of CPOH2 (Memphis, TN)
July 15, 2108 – second half of CPOH2 (Graceland, Memphis, TN)
July 16, 2108 – between CPOH 2 and 3
July 17, 2108 – first part of CPOH3 (Chattanooga, TN)
July 18, 2108 – second part of CPOH3 (Chattanooga, TN)
July 19, 2108 – third part of CPOH3 (Tennessee River)
July 20, 2108 – first part of CPOH4 (Murfreesboro, TN)
July 21, 2108 – second part of CPOH4 (Elk River)
July 22, 2108 – third part of CPOH4 (Tennessee River into Chattanooga, TN)
July 23, 2108 – fourth part of CPOH4 (Chattanooga, TN, into Appalachian Mountains)
July 24, 2108 – between CPOH 4 and 5 (Appalachian Mountains)
July 25, 2108 -most of CPOH5 (Crossed Appalachian Mountains settle)
July 26, 2108 – last page of CPOH5 (Appalachian Mountains)
July 27, 2109 – 101 years after the Surprise, day one of CPOH7 (Murfreesboro, TN)
July 28, 2109 – day two of CPOH7 (Murfreesboro, TN)
July 29, 2109 – start of CPOH8 (Murfreesboro, TN and Fayetteville, TN)
July 30, 2109 – day two of CPOH8 (Kingston, TN)
August 5, 2109 – day one of CPOH9 (Murfreesboro, TN)
August 7, 2109 – day two of CPOH9 (Appalachian Mountains)
August 15, 2109 – date referenced in CPOH12, issue takes place from around August 12 or 13 through probably August 16 (Murfreesboro, TN)
c. 2111 – Murfreesboro railroad becomes functional (Per Taylor CPOH14 P9,p3)
July 17, 2114 – date referenced in CPOH13, issue takes place around July 15 through 17 (Kingston, TN to Murfreesboro, TN)
July 19, 2114 – date referenced in CPOH14, issue takes place around July 18 through July 19 (Murfreesboro, TN)
July 20, 2114 – date referenced in CPOH15 (Camp Genheim Gapple Outpost in TN)
July 21, 2114 – date referenced in CPOH16 (Camp Genheim Gapple Outpost in TN)
July 22, 2114 – date referenced in CPOH17 (Camp Genheim Gapple Outpost in TN)
July 23, 2114 – day of CPOH18 (Greenbrier, Murfreesboro, TN) – American History X cover depicts the siege of Greenbrier.
July 14, 2121 – “Thirteen days before the thirteenth year of Salt’s century” is apparently the date predicted for Beau Salt’s return – per CPOH16 P8,p1.